by Candy Tolbert
Bananas are my favorite fruit. As a child it was tough for my mom to keep them in our fruit basket for very long because I devoured one or two a day. Whether it's warm banana bread or sliced bananas on my favorite cereal or ice cream, I'm always up for bananas. My husband? Not so much.
Consequently I've noticed that what looked inviting and ready-to-eat in my own attractive kitchen fruit basket turns into anything but that, if I am away on a four day weekend speaking engagement. I return to said basket to find a dwelling for fruit flies and fuzzy gray mold. My beautiful yellow banana has turned to black because it is meant to be consumed!
In the same way that time and air discolors fruit, our attitudes color our personalities. Events and circumstances occur in our lives which we often do not choose. But we can always choose our attitude toward each situation. In Paul's writing to the Galatians he identifies in chapter 5 the acts of the sinful nature which include hatred, discord, and fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy, drunkenness, orgies, and also the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. We see the obvious comparison and the importance of mindset or mental attitude as it affects our emotions and actions. Simply stated Paul is saying that my attitude determines my approach to life.
Mentally circle the number that most closely reveals your attitude toward life today and then join me in remembering a few basic truths.
- Make the World Go Away
- Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head
- I Did It My Way
- Oh, What A Beautiful Morning!
Note to self:
- My attitude determines my approach to life. — Learn to laugh. It's like a lot of things. If you want to get good at it, you have to practice!
- My attitude determines my relationship with people. — Teddy Roosevelt said, "The most important single ingredient to the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people."
- When the world seems dark and gloomy, create for thyself a banana split. —Instant smile to my face and joy to my heart!